BIGHORN BAM raises $1 Million for Breast Cancer, April 20, 2012
BIGHORN BAM GOLFERS RAISE $1 MILLION FOR CANCER CHARITIES IN 5 MONTHS
An astounding $2.56 Million fundraising mark over 5 short years!
Palm Desert, California (April 20, 2012) – Inspired to save the lives of Coachella Valley cancer patients, BIGHORN Behind a Miracle (BAM) raised $1 million for cancer patient support services, breast cancer diagnostic technologies and educational scholarships during their five month long fundraising campaign. BIGHORN BAM also announces an astounding $2.56 million in fundraising mark in five short years.
BIGHORN BAM's 2011-2012 fundraising dollars will benefit The Pendleton Foundation, whose organization helps cancer patients with gas cards to get to radiation treatments, assists with rent or utilities because they cannot work, grocery cards so their family can eat and other ways to ease the financial impact upon their households. As well as support the Eisenhower Schnitzer/Novack Breast Center and Eisenhower BIGHORN Radiation Oncology Center, BAM marks its fifth year and is one of the largest single private fundraisers benefiting Eisenhower Medical Center.
"We are completely overwhelmed! Raising $2.56 million in five short years is extraordinary! It is a fact that every single Eisenhower breast care patient, whether they have cancer or are getting screened, has benefitted by the generosity of BAM," says Betty Wolf, Vice President, Eisenhower Medical Center Foundation. "The magnitude and passion of this support is a testament to the generosity found throughout the BIGHORN community. BIGHORN BAM has provided an arsenal of technologies with the hope of providing a cure for Coachella Valley patients fighting breast cancer by providing essential equipment, counseling and transportation services."
Over the past five years, BIGHORN BAM has provided the following for early breast cancer detection, diagnoses and screening at Eisenhower:
- 3,182 Round Trip Transportation rides for Radiation & Chemotherapy patients who would have had to depend on public transportation.
- SIEMENS ACUSON S2000 Whole Breast 3D Ultrasound System
- 2 New Mammogram Units for Eisenhower Lucy Curci Schnitzer/Novack Breast Center
- 2 SuperSonic Imagine Aixplorer Ultrasound System.
- Digitizer to convert x-ray films into digitized images for higher magnification studies.
- Invivo Breast Array Coil for the Eisenhower Schnitzer/Novack Breast Center.
- SonoSite Portable Ultrasound Machine for advanced breast imaging.
- Specialized Suro ATEC Breast Biopsy and Excision System – modifies existing MRI to perform breast imaging/biopsy.
- CD Burner for mammography images given to patients.
- 3 Breast Boards and Head Supports for more exacting and comfortable patient positioning during radiation treatment.
- 100 Comforting Spa Robes for patients awaiting radiation treatment.
- 2 Digital Faxitron: rapid breast tumor specimen x-ray/analyzer during surgical excision or core biopsy procedures.
- Bone Densitometer to allow patients to have their mammogram and bone density test done during the same appointment.
- Gamma Probe for sentinel lymph node localization for rapid detection of metastic breast cancer that may have spread to the lymph nodes.
- Blanket Warmer to provide warm comfort during treatment for radiation oncology patients
- New Breast Cancer Patient Diagnosis Resource Kits.
- Breast Cancer Patient Genetic Counseling.
- $45,000 given to The Pendleton Foundation to assist cancer patient's most basic needs.
- Educational scholarships supporting families with cancer survivors.
"The BIGHORN Behind A Miracle golf tournament has proven to be exactly that...a true miracle," shares Chairwoman Selby Dunham. "We are so proud to keep this money in the desert and benefit Eisenhower's first class facility as well as the genuine efforts The Pendleton Foundation exhibits with cancer patients who are truly in need. The generosity of the BIGHORN members, their guests and friends is truly extraordinary....without the enthusiasm and energy of so many volunteers and committee members, none of this would have been possible."
This year BIGHORN BAM kicked off with A Miracle on El Paseo with the Shops on El Paseo in November as well as a Walk for Life with Macy's & Westfield Palm Desert. In March, BAM hosted a Launch Party, filled with incredible silent auction items and party sponsored by Tommy Bahamas and a Game Day for Life hosted by Susan Goldfine at Toscana Country Club. The Cash for Caddies Pairings Party and the BAM Golf Tournament held April 11 & 12th is supported by caddies donating their time and staff members giving countless hours to support this very worthy cause.
"I am so excited to give back to Eisenhower," says Selby Dunham, a breast cancer survivor of seven years. "After all, they gave me my life." For more information, please log onto www.bighornbam.com.